Today is World Book Day, according to the UNESCO, even though UK and Ireland have already celebrated it this year on the 1st of March.
I LOVE to read, and I would read any genres, and any form of words. 😀 I read books, magazines, newspapers, manga, comics, anything that comes in to my hand, and anything that I would find interesting. And off course, how could I let such a day pass by without posting about it 😀
I will simply quote what the UNESCO event site says about this day:
By celebrating this Day throughout the world, UNESCO seeks to promote reading, publishing and the protection of intellectual property through copyright.
23 April is a symbolic date for world literature, since 23 April 1616 was the date of death of Cervantes, Shakespeare and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega. 23 April is also the date of birth or death of other prominent authors such as Maurice Druon, K.Laxness, Vladimir Nabokov, Josep Pla and Manuel Mejía Vallejo.
To be honest, I only care about the choice of the date because it is the birth and death date of WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
This is why UNESCO chose this date to pay a worldwide tribute to books and their authors on this date, encouraging everyone, and in particular young people, to discover the pleasure of reading and to gain a renewed respect for the extraordinary contributions of those who have furthered the social and cultural progress of humanity.
Even though; the idea for this celebration originated in Catalonia (Spain) where it has become a tradition to give a rose as a gift for each book purchased.
JOIN THE CELEBRATION
- Download books published over 100 years ago on Kindle, they’re free! Do not have a KINDLE, but maybe you do 😀 😉
- Share your passion for an author and offer his book to people around you! I already share my passion for Agatha Christie, Roald Dahl, and William Shakespeare, there are many more I love, but all will be shared in due time 😀
- Take this opportunity to discover something new from what you’re used to read. ummm…..
- Leave a book on a park bench or a metro seat with a note saying “Happy Book and Copyright Day!” I will definitely do this ONE 😀
- Find out how to send your old books to schools and libraries in countries facing a post-disaster situation. Already do that 😀
- Educate yourself on books pirating: respect for copyright encourages the dissemination of knowledge and rewards their creators and publishers. And help to educate others about it. Took a course about that in University.
- Never throw away your books, get involved in local community or online book swapping and donation campaigns and initiatives. I never throw books away, either give them away or KEEP THEM.
- Plan local reading events in schools and libraries and encourage famous guest readers to get involved. ummmm….
Anyway on a closing note check this post by another blogger about this: April 23: World Book Day http://mrshakespeare.typepad.com/mrshakespeare/2009/04/april-23-world-book-day.html
And from his blog I found out about this website, it’s pretty cool, so go on and check it out: world digital library: http://www.wdl.org/en/