Just got a phone call from my best friend; saying that he got a job offer in Saudi Arabia and he will be travelling on Monday.
This is not the first call I get like this; I have many dear close friends whom have done that already.
One went to work as in a research lab in a German University, one went to live back in the UK, another went to get his Masters in Austria, another went to finish her studies in the US (I keep on wondering if she will ever come back that one) and another as an Engineer in Australia.
It is not easy to receive such a call; knowing that it won’t be as easy to plan outings or random travel adventures or even call them at anytime.
Due to different times and many many many kilometers of distance between us, a lot of things will have to be stopped and cease to exist between us.
I know; we live in the virtual age, thanks to technology we stay connected.
Yes! We will get to share stories and pictures with each other, but it will never be like living it, experiencing it with each other.
I am good in hiding my real feelings, I am a very supportive person, I will help them with everything and contact them all the time.
I will never tell them to stay HERE, stay with me, do not leave me.
I never show or say how I really feel:
- How much I will miss them being in the same country
- How much I will miss calling them at any time
- How much I will miss calling them and telling them get down I am waiting under your apartment building
- How much I will miss calling them, asking if they are free and if they would like to go have lunch somewhere.
- How much I will miss telling them about this new place that we got to try out.
- How much I will miss them being in my pictures
- How much I will miss them butting in to everything related to me 😀
How much I will SIMPLY MISS THEM
What will keep me by; is the frequent calls and messages.
What will keep me by; is the frequent pictures sent to me.
What will keep me by; is the plans to meet up in the summer holidays.
What will keep me by; is the idea that one day things will get better.
What will keep me by; is the idea that they are happy and safe.
What will keep me by; is our amazing memories and love for each other.
I will always be there for them, as much as I know they will always be there for me.
That is what true friendship is!
And Yes! I am lucky, because these are the people I got to be friends with.
These are the people I CHOSE to call FAMILY